Photo by Al d'Vilas
Have you ever watched a rabbit and wondered why it's acting so weird? Most likely, the bunny is binkying.
But what exactly does this mean? A binky happens so fast. It is when a bunny jumps while twisting its hind legs and head.
Binkies are a sign of happiness, contentment, and affection. Rabbits often binky when playing with each other or eating their favorite treat. They also tend to be binky when excited or happy about something.
For example, if you give them a new toy (or even bring an old one), your rabbit may do some bunny flips! Binkies are even used for communication during social interactions between rabbits; you can tell how your rabbit feels by watching its movements.
How Common Are Binkies?
Binkies are common in all rabbit breeds. If you've seen a rabbit binky before, you know they're not just doing it to be weird. When rabbits binky, they feel safe and comfortable in their environment and happy to be there. Binkying is entirely normal for rabbits.
GIF Source: @lunalunebunny on Instagram
5 Ways to Make Your Rabbits Binky
1. Toys and more toys. Your bunny can't talk but when it sees more toys to play with, do you know how to determine whether the bun is thankful? Of course, you know! It is when your cute bunny is doing a binky!
2. Bonding and playing with them. Toys aren't enough; your bunny needs your attention! Your bunny appreciates your presence a lot because they are social animals. Don't forget that bunny moms/dads. They binky when they feel you're interested in playing with them. It is like seeing a child jumping in a muddy puddle.
3. Play outdoors. Oh, how bunnies love to run outside! The moment your bunny sets foot on the grass outside your home, it will immediately do the zoomies and the binkies! How cute is that?
4. Delicious and healthy treats. May we ask you one thing, dear bunny parent? Do you smile when your favorite food is served in a restaurant? That's how your bunny feels whenever you give it delicious and healthy treats. Yep! Always go for healthy treats.
5. Treat them like they're your children. We wanted to take this moment, bunny parents, to thank you for taking extra care of your cute and fluffy buns. Here at HoppScotch.bun, we appreciate owners who love bunnies like their children. Your bunnies will binky when you treat them well!
Disclaimer: We are not professional veterinarians or medical doctors. We created this blog based on our experiences with pet rabbits. We volunteered hours in the rabbit shelter, did extensive pet product research, and asked experienced peers. The purpose of this blog is to provide information about properly taking care of rabbits. Please know that it is still best to visit the vet regularly. For medical emergencies, contact a rabbit-savvy vet. Always observe your rabbits around new products or environmental changes.
Final Thoughts on Rabbit Binky
One rewarding moment of being a bunny parent is seeing your bunny binky! For a mother–it's like seeing her child take his first step. If you want to see a binky more often, give your bunny much love and attention.
Visit HoppScotch.bun Bunny Blog for more helpful blogs about rabbits and their behaviors!
Also, visit us at HoppScotch.bun to see our product called BUMBOX. It is a litter box perfect for your buns and what's more exciting is that we will be launching BUMBOX DELUXE--- a bigger litter box for your giant fluffy bunnies!
The new Bumbox Deluxe will make your bunnies binky!